Friday, February 3, 2012

Winter in the Mile High City and Dog Booties

We woke up this morning to almost sixteen inches of snow.  Indiana was not enthusiastic about getting up or putting his booties on, much less actually going outside.

"You've got to be kidding me."

"Well at least it's not over my head."

"Get me back inside!"

"I can have breakfast now, maybe?"


Due to Indiana's inability to have his paws stay in the snow for any period of time, we ordered him a set of dog boots for just this occasion.  I usually try to find anything I need on Amazon.com, mostly because I have free two day shipping through their Prime Account program and they have pretty much anything I would need, with lots of reviews from other people buying products.  After a bit of research, we found the Ultra Paws Rugged Boot.

As seen on Amazon.
 This dog boot got good reviews online (not wearing down quickly and not being able to be chewed off were what I was looking for)  and came in a variety of sizes.  Unfortunately, the sizes are only based on the length of the paw and not the width.  Indiana's paws are much longer than they are wide, so the size we ended up getting him fit a bit more like round snow shoes than sneakers.  And while the double velcro system works great to keep the booties on, it does hinder his ankle movement, unless a little loosened.  All of these things basically added up to Indiana walking drunkenly across our apartment the first time we put the booties on him.  Luckily, he is easily plied with treats and now can walk up and down one side of the block in heavy snow without too much hilarity effort. 


Final Review: 4 out of 5 - would be perfect if they weren't shaped like pancakes. Make sure to have lots of treats on hand when first trying them out on your pup.  Also perhaps a video recorder.  It will be worth it.




 He especially loves a cookie at the end to make it worth it.


14 comments:

  1. Just watching him walk was the funniest thing I have seen in a while. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome boots! I think I am going to stick with my cowboy boots....ha ha! Congrats on getting snow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BOL!! What a walk!! I am wanting some snow boots, so i am going to have my mom check these out!!

    ~Higgins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we got Indiana the smallest size available for that line. But your mom should check out the maker's and see what they have for a petiter pup! It really does help keeping snow out from between Indian's toe pads.

      http://www.ultrapaws.com/

      Delete
  4. Awesome boots! I have been looking for some for my doggies who have sensative paws when it gets really cold here, am going to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhhh, I love the way Indiana picks his feet up so high to walk in his boots.
    My Mum used to have a German Shepherd who used to come out in awful hives if he went out in the snow, his eyes used to close up and lumps everywhere.
    The weather forecast says we are next for those snowstorms in UK.
    Hugs, Lynne
    ps, My award from you is my Monday post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rufus used to wear booties after his big op that left him dragging one paw until the nails bled. They were shaped like pancakes too. I think they may all be ;) he got used to them eventually. They were bright yellow!

    That snow could bury Indiana. BRRRRR.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That video of Indiana walking with the boots is so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the video - Indiana is such a sweet guy! All that snow too - none here in Yorkshire UK but supposed to be on the way :-( woofs and licks Magic xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have to have that cat walk music while he is strutting his stuff.

    Indiana is doing the cat walk...exquisitely. Nice boots.

    Huggies and Cheese,

    Haopee

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was a funny video! It made me laugh out loud. I've thought of booties for Sampson and Delilah, but they are still getting use to their reflective vests.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are bark out loud walkies, Indiana, in your video!

    My mom is going to check out these booties. All the salt on the streets really hurts my paws. Your post is just in time!

    Keep on wagging!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...