Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Wild Animal Sanctuary in Colorado

Last week I went to the Wild Animal Sanctuary, about a forty five minute drive north of Denver.  I had been researching a big cat reserve in Florida for an upcoming trip, but found there was one right one my doorstep!   Needless to say, I was pretty excited to see some lions, tigers and bears.

Tigers start in small enclosures to slowly get used to having more space.  Some have never been in a cage larger than 5x5 feet.  They eventually end up in groups in open grassed areas with BIG toys to play lounge on.




The Wild Animal Sanctuary is one of the oldest and largest of its kind in the United States.  Its primary concern is taking in wild animals that have been saved from illegal captivity and trade.  Many of the animals have been rescued from people keeping them as pets or from being bred at "fur farms." I like this particular sanctuary because it really seems to have the care of the animals as its primary focus.  It doesn't really cater to tourists or visitors, in that, the only way to see the animals is from an elevated walkway, which goes over some of the enclosures and gives you views into the HUGE environments.


The elevated walkway is low impact on the animals and does not get very close to most of them, which is unfortunate if you want to get an intimate view of a lion.  The lions, however, are living as naturally as they can, with little human interaction.  The sanctuary does not give behind the scene tours to get closer to the animals, which are common for other similar organizations.

The beginning of the walkway does get close to the leopards, but not this close.

I had painted some pendants of big cats prior to visiting the sanctuary, but now I'm giving part of the purchase price to this local non profit.  It is really great to have something like this in my area.  I'm also going to look into volunteering for them.

African Leopard Pendant

To learn more about how to donate check out www.wildanimalsanctuary.org
(Only the product photos belong to me, the rest are from the Wild Animal Sanctuary)

14 comments:

  1. What a terrific place! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photos are from their website. My little point and shoot wasn't able to really capture anything terribly well.

      Delete
  2. That pendant is lovely! What an interesting trip you got to take too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Helen ~ Thanks for sharing the pics of the sanctuary. The eye of the leopard you painted looks like you could almost see your own reflection. There is an elephant sanctuary in Tennessee that we help support. http://elephants.com/ You might like to read there stories.
    Sweet William The Scot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The elephant sanctuary looks really cool! It's kind of crazy to think of a herd of elephants just wandering through a bunch of acres in Tennessee!

      Delete
  4. Wow, I love your pendants, they are gorgeous!
    It must be fantastic to look down on the animals from that walkway.
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're beautiful! Love the leopard
    Dachshund Nola

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad I can finally comment again. Was here earlier but the word verification was giving me grief! One of those days!

    I'm not fond of zoos and animal "sanctuaries" that have tourist buses rolling in. This one here sounds very alright though.

    Beautiful pendants :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty skeptical of them also, especially after reading about a particular one in Florida. But this one seems as above board as possible.

      That's strange about the commenting system because I don't have word verification turned on at all. I just moderate comments that are on posts that are more than three days old. Oh Blogger glitches.

      Delete
  7. That's a beautiful write-up and I love that the sanctuary cares more about the animals than making money from the tourists.

    Your pendant is beautiful too! Do you paint pendants with dogs on them? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can and do paint pendants with pets in them! Feel free to have a look - http://www.etsy.com/listing/91910112/custom-pet-memorial-pendant-hand-painted

      Delete
  8. I lived out near there in Real Life and did not realize that wildlife sanctuary was there! It looks and sounds wonderful! Also, I LOVE your paintings - they are gorgeous! I found ya through the "My Dogs Love Me" blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was little I wanted to be a vet too! I did not have the discipline for that much school though! Thanks for stopping by. I've joined your blog and your comics are really cool.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful pendants...you are a fab artist!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...